Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Steven Pinker on Science vs Folk Wisdom





I thought I had posted this other mp3 that I found a long time ago, but I could not find it on the blog.

http://libsyn.com/media/pointofinquiry/POI_2007_10_26_Steven_Pinker.mp3

A world renowned Linguist is being interviewed about his thoughts on science. I remember him talking about the purpose of University and peoples natural tendencies to believe inaccurate information. The entire show is fascinating to listen to.

If I remember correctly he says something along the lines of:

"The purpose of the first few years of University is to un-teach students all the things they think they know, which are based often on faulty folk wisdom".

I am sure he had some other great nuggets in there, but I still need to look for my notes. It was a fascinating interview, because he explained so clearly, how easily we deceive ourselves. We need science and data to give us an accurate view of the world. He is a convincing speaker. Check it out.

No comments: